Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Challenge of the week - 2
Morx Offline
Sergeant

4 thank was given in 4 posts
Challenge of the week - 2
Hi everyone, here is another challenge.

In this game you are playing red again. This was a live game.

[Image: 7LjxZvw.png]

Red:
2 Majors are known
The captain is known
The flag on I1 has has been knocked over earlier by the red player and the blue player has seen it.

Blue still has
2 captains
2 lieutenants
1 sergeant
3 miners

It is reds turn.

Let me know if you think red has better odds here and what the game plan would be?

Morx
02-05-2021 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01AAAAF Offline
Lieutenant

10 thank was given in 8 posts
RE: Challenge of the week - 2
I think overall, it’s somewhat similar to the last game. Red is again up higher pieces, but down lower pieces and down info. Red’s Miners are buried again, but I guess this time it doesn’t really matter since the flag tripod is already known. Red isn’t really revealing much by moving the Miners at this point.

I think Red has to also play for a draw this time too. Red can only block 2 lanes (assuming that Blue is able to trade one of their 2 Captains with Red’s Captain) and Blue knowing for sure where Red’s flag is gives them a big advantage, unless Red is able to correctly guess Blue’s flag on the first try, which is unlikely. Red has to try and kill Blue’s Miners somehow before one gets to the Flag. Once the Flag is safe, the 2 Majors can eventually trap everything.

Red could gamble and assume the flag is on D10, but they probably lose if it isn’t there and they try to attack it. Red could also be risky and lotto C9 and E9, but they also probably lose if they run into a bomb.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021 07:28 PM by 01AAAAF.)
02-05-2021 08:28 PM
Morx Offline
Sergeant

What would be your first 3 moves here and why?
02-05-2021 11:07 PM
01AAAAF Offline
Lieutenant

My first move would be Major to C7. This move is quite flexible. If I wanted to lotto, I would then move to C8 and then C9, because there is less of a chance to hit a bomb that’s next to a known bomb . Depending on what I find on C9, I’d either possibly continue to lotto, or simply try to trap the piece on E6. If I hit a bomb on C9, I would probably resign.

I probably wouldn’t lotto right away, but moving the Major to C7 on the first move leaves that option open if for some reason I changed my mind based on how the opponent moved. The opponent will probably react by either moving the piece on E6 to E7, or they will probably move the piece on A8 to A7. If they go with E6 to E7, then I’m moving the Major from F5 to F6 to keep that piece from escaping. If they go with A8 to A7, then I’m moving my Major from C7 to D7, and then E7 pretty much regardless of what the opponent does. The Major that is on F5 should be able to have enough time to stop the piece that is moving down the A file before it can reach the flag, in that case.

The piece on I3 probably isn’t a Miner, so I don’t feel there is any immediate need to retreat to the flag or try to capture that piece. Even if it is a Miner, there isn’t really anything that can be done about it. I’m not sure how it would’ve ended up near the flag though if it was a Miner, because the player playing Red surely would’ve hit it before letting it get down by the flag if they thought it was a Miner.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about Blue lottoing either. All the pieces they lotto are pretty much irrelevant and would just allow me time to trap potential Miners. Once Blue’s Miners are dead, the 2 Majors can eventually trap everything and win.
02-06-2021 12:03 AM
KnightofPepsi Offline
Sergeant

16 thank was given in 15 posts
(02-05-2021 11:07 PM)Morx Wrote:  What would be your first 3 moves here and why?

1. Bend down
2. Put my head between my legs
3. Kiss my butt goodbye

Ok on a more serious note, blue has 18 pieces on the board and you list:
"Blue still has
2 captains
2 lieutenants
1 sergeant
3 miners"
Even if all 6 bombs are on the board, plus the flag, that is only 15 pieces unless I am misunderstanding something.

Anyway, if red, I would probably try to trap and capture the moved piece in the middle to try to get a piece off the board. I'd still have time to defend. Then I would try to trap a second piece and potentially burn a scout to help ensure a miner doesn't go straight for the flag. I think it is critical for red to get at least two smaller pieces off the board to have a realistic chance.
02-06-2021 03:50 AM
GaryLShelton Offline
Lieutenant

7 thank was given in 7 posts
What do the 4 blue pieces with "M" on them mean if they are not miners?
02-06-2021 10:23 AM
01AAAAF Offline
Lieutenant

The “M” means that the piece has moved already, but it’s rank is unknown. If a piece is a known Miner, it will show a picture of a Miner. For example, the pieces on A1, C1 and E2 are all Miners. Blue also has a known bomb, hence the piece on D9 having a picture of a bomb.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2021 07:07 PM by 01AAAAF.)
02-06-2021 07:02 PM
Sevenseas Away
Miner

3 thank was given in 3 posts
It's very difficult for red to lose this. The first priority should be defence if the flag is known. Bring one of the majors over to the right hand side. If a Blue captain is known then don't trade. Try to keep your captain present to capture smaller pieces.
02-09-2021 12:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Morx Offline
Sergeant

Very good discussion so far, thanks everyone for contributing.

Opinions differ from its another lost game to this time its hard to lose, which make me think its more balanced compared to challenge 1.

That is the nice thing when the board is still a bit full, a short sequence of good or bad moves changes everything quickly.

Personally I would really like to know what the piece is that is in front of the red flag bomb before starting other plans, because that one limits the moves of the red captain if it is a miner.
02-09-2021 05:49 PM
Sevenseas Away
Miner

3 thank was given in 3 posts
I agree, and I think getting major to the right is a good first plan. I'd start moving F5-F4-G4 and across to the unknown piece in front of the flag.
02-09-2021 07:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply